Cause and effect.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction, or so the theory goes.
Yesterday marked an all time high, 750 visitors to this site. That's 750 people who stopped, laughed at Jane and left.
I noticed that the majority of the hits came from Grouchy Old Cripple and started immediately after Denny posted that Jane had resurfaced. There were a few hits from Rue's Kitchen after Jane posted a few insults there.
The last spike I had was after Denny posted that Jane had shut down happilyneverafter.us and started a new one. That brought 650 of you to visit.
So, we have a cause; Jane pokes her head out of her hole.
We have an effect; hundreds of people get a good laugh at her.
What does she gain from it? She shuts her site down to avoid the limelight and then opens her mouth and is immediately thrust into it.
Unfortunately for Jane, there was another effect: Marginalizd.com was actually her school site. When I was alerted to it, all that was there was the coming in Jan 2006 screen.
I didn't bother to dig very deep, because part of what I saw when I started was that it used to deal with interior decorating. That was before Jane got it though. After her comments though, I dug deeper. What I found was how it related to Janes school. One of the screens was an apology for not having more stuff, because it had been lost when her site crashed. That got me to thinking, If she is a web page designer, and her own premier design lost quantities of data because it crashed, what does that say for her? Who in their right mind would want a web page designed by someone whose own home page is faulty? It is certainly not the sort of portfolio that would cause me to want to hire some one, especially not in this portion of the digital age.
I freely admit that I am behind the times on may portions of it. When I started working with computers, DOS was in its infancy. Most programmers used basic, whether by Texas instruments, IBM/Intel, or the host of other folks who had simple programs for making the system click. I programmed many MFM and RLL drives when I was attending college. It was several years before IDE and SCSI drives were marketed. (Remember when 30meg was a huge drive?) After college, I had other things to do, and left the programming to guys like Denny. So, I'm not in the market to be anybodies programmer.
Jane is though. She advertises from her site to do design work. She has two satisfied customer reviews, one is from Rat Turd. She advertises low rates. At the rate she listed, You are not getting much, unless she is working at minimum wage. After viewing several of the sites she has done, you get your pennies worth, but that is all you get, a pennies worth. Nothing that a respectable business would want to use for their web advertising.
Yesterday marked an all time high, 750 visitors to this site. That's 750 people who stopped, laughed at Jane and left.
I noticed that the majority of the hits came from Grouchy Old Cripple and started immediately after Denny posted that Jane had resurfaced. There were a few hits from Rue's Kitchen after Jane posted a few insults there.
The last spike I had was after Denny posted that Jane had shut down happilyneverafter.us and started a new one. That brought 650 of you to visit.
So, we have a cause; Jane pokes her head out of her hole.
We have an effect; hundreds of people get a good laugh at her.
What does she gain from it? She shuts her site down to avoid the limelight and then opens her mouth and is immediately thrust into it.
Unfortunately for Jane, there was another effect: Marginalizd.com was actually her school site. When I was alerted to it, all that was there was the coming in Jan 2006 screen.
I didn't bother to dig very deep, because part of what I saw when I started was that it used to deal with interior decorating. That was before Jane got it though. After her comments though, I dug deeper. What I found was how it related to Janes school. One of the screens was an apology for not having more stuff, because it had been lost when her site crashed. That got me to thinking, If she is a web page designer, and her own premier design lost quantities of data because it crashed, what does that say for her? Who in their right mind would want a web page designed by someone whose own home page is faulty? It is certainly not the sort of portfolio that would cause me to want to hire some one, especially not in this portion of the digital age.
I freely admit that I am behind the times on may portions of it. When I started working with computers, DOS was in its infancy. Most programmers used basic, whether by Texas instruments, IBM/Intel, or the host of other folks who had simple programs for making the system click. I programmed many MFM and RLL drives when I was attending college. It was several years before IDE and SCSI drives were marketed. (Remember when 30meg was a huge drive?) After college, I had other things to do, and left the programming to guys like Denny. So, I'm not in the market to be anybodies programmer.
Jane is though. She advertises from her site to do design work. She has two satisfied customer reviews, one is from Rat Turd. She advertises low rates. At the rate she listed, You are not getting much, unless she is working at minimum wage. After viewing several of the sites she has done, you get your pennies worth, but that is all you get, a pennies worth. Nothing that a respectable business would want to use for their web advertising.

2 Comments:
30 megs was huge? Heck, I remember when 10 megs was huge. I paid $600 for it, and it was a bargain.
http://www.atarimagazines.com/creative/v11n8/36_The_Sider_10Mb_of_mass_s.php
By
Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:00:00 PM
When computers first started (and I'm not talking PC's. I'm talking commercial mainframes)740K was huge. My buddy Wahoo worked on them in the 60's.
By
Anonymous, at Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:07:00 PM
<< Home